During pregnancy, many factors change the body of a pregnant woman and that too in different ways. There are many chemical messengers in our body and their balance changes during the pregnancy. These chemicals are called hormones.
One of the most visible changes in hormones, during pregnancy, can be observed in the skin. These skin changes involve darkening of the skin, acne, skin tags, itchy red bumps and stretch marks. But don’t worry skin conditions during pregnancy are temporary these will go away after the pregnancy is over.
Common 5 Skin Conditions during Pregnancy
These are one of the most common skin changes during the pregnancy. Stretch marks occur because during the pregnancy the body of a female grows and so the skin has to stretch. These stretches cause brown or red streaks to form on the skin.
The stretch marks mostly appear during the third trimester of the pregnancy. They usually occur on the belly, breasts and sometimes even near your upper arms.
Tips that can help in reducing the effect of stretch marks:
- Follow your healthcare provider’s advice for healthy weight gain.
- Make sure you ask your health provider to recommend a moisturizer so that your skin remains soft and healthy.
- This can prevent some itching or allergy related with stretch marks.
- But remember; no moisturizer can prevent stretch marks. The colour will fade after pregnancy.
Hyperpigmentation is darkening of the skin. This is caused because of the pregnancy hormones which include melanin. The brown patches, which are usually in the face, are the most common signs. These are called as melasma or the mask of pregnancy.These patches can be on the cheeks or nose and sometimes forehead also.
Dealing with skin darkening:
- Hyperpigmentation cannot be prevented. But you can use sunscreen and wide-brimmed hat so that further darkening from sun exposure can be avoided.
- Don’t take too much stress. Most of the hyperpigmentation fades away after the pregnancy.
You may have noticed tiny, flesh-colored growth of skin, these are called as skin tags. These are very common for everyone. But their number becomes high during pregnancy. The reason why they happen more during pregnancy is unknown.A dermatologist can quickly discard these after pregnancy.
Dealing with skin tags:
- The most common site where the skin tags occur is under arms and breasts.
- There is nothing that you can do prevent skin tags during pregnancy.
- These can easily be removed surgically after pregnancy.
These are also caused by pregnancy hormones. If your skin is already prone to acne, then pregnancy may make it worse.If you are a person with clear skin, the pregnancy can cause acne.
Tips to protect the skin from acne:
- Try to wash your face twice a day with soap and water.
- Shampoo almost every day and try to keep your hair off your face.
- Don’t squeeze pimples.
- Use oil-free cosmetics.
- Ask your healthcare provider before using other treatments.
This condition is less common than stretch marks, hyperpigmentation, and acne.This is caused due to immune system’s reaction to pregnancy. The bumps can form anywhere-anytime during pregnancy.
Medication can be given to relieve itching.
The skin conditions during pregnancy are the very common issue but with proper consultancy, they can be dealt with.