What is PESA?
- PESA also known as Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration is a Surgical Sperm Retrieval (SSR) method.
- It is a method in which the sperm is retrieved by a gentle suction after a fine needle is injected into the epididymis, above the testis.
- This procedure is usually conducted when the ejaculate has no sperm because of an injury, blockage or previous surgery.
- PESA is generally performed before starting an IVF cycle, and the extracted sperm is frozen and stored for use in conjunction with Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) during your IVF cycle.
Who needs PESA?
- This fertility treatment is usually suitable if you do not have any sperm within the ejaculate, due to a blockage of some kind.
- The problem may be because of previous surgery, such as a vasectomy.