Giving birth is one of the greatest virtues granted to women by the almighty. Some things should be taken care of pre-and-post pregnancy. Certain conditions may lead to cases of premature birth.
Premature birth, the scenario in which the baby is born three or more weeks before the baby is due, is also known as Preterm Birth. Though a premature child may not always be unhealthy, in some cases the situation becomes very complicated as the children may require t be kept under continuous observation.
Mostly the situation worsens up to the extent where the child may suffer from delayed physical and mental development, lung disease, cerebral palsy, etc. However, in certain cases, there may be neonatal death as well.
Reasons for Premature Birth
Many reasons cause the premature births which involve problems with the fetus, cancer in the uterus or other previous surgeries that affect the reproductive health.
But almost 50% of the times the causes of premature birth are unknown.
The premature rupture of the membranes of the fetus, which is involved in the initiation of labor is considered to be the main reason for premature birth.
Following are the events that initiate the onset of premature birth:
- Placental abruption
- Incomplete cervix
- Hormonal changes
How to lower the Risk of Premature Birth?
By taking care of few things, one can reduce the risk of premature birth.
Early Prenatal Care:
One of the best and simplest way you can reduce the risk is getting early prenatal care.
- Consult your specialist and follow his advice when you know you are pregnant.
- He will prescribe you the required prenatal medications such as vitamins, Folic acid, essential nutrients, etc. (The vitamins prevent the neural-tube congenital disabilities such as Spinal Bifida.) These help in the development of a fetus and achieve a healthy pregnancy.
Identify the risks:
Some ladies are most likely to deliver early mostly the women at the age of 35 years or more. The risk factors include:
- Illegal drug use
- High blood pressure
- Having multiple embryos
- Uterine infection during pregnancy
- Suffering from preeclampsia
- Being overweight or underweight
- Genetic factors
If you have any of these conditions, talk to your doctor as soon as possible so that this scenario can be avoided.
Some infections and diseases cause preterm birth. Such as:
- The uterine infection that occurs in the genetical track is responsible for almost more than half of premature births. As during infections, chemicals are released, and these compounds initiate the contraction and dilation of the cervix.
- STD such as chlamydia and gonorrhea
Get tested for all kinds of infections and treat these diseases before pregnancy; it may lower the risk of premature birth up to thirty percent.
Visit a dentist:
- It is necessary to visit a dentist during pregnancy as regular cleanings help preventing preterm delivery.
- Gum disease gives rise to the same chain of events that take place during the uterine infections. Hormonal changes during pregnancy make the woman more susceptible to have gingivitis (a gum disease.)
Maintain a healthy weight:
- A woman must put one twenty-five to thirty-five pounds during pregnancy. Gaining too much weight can cause complications in pregnancy like gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, etc. These conditions lead to premature birth.
- An underweight woman should be even more concern. It has been proved that women with BMI under 20 are less likely to carry a baby to a term. As in such cases, there is a high probability of nutritional deficiencies that affect the fetal development.
Staying healthy can prevent preterm labor.
Eat and drink healthily
Have proper nutrition diet during pregnancy as it is essential for the development of a healthy fetal. The healthy diet includes:
- Whole Wheat
Sources of protein and dairy
- Fruits and vegetables
- High level of omega three fatty acids. Fatty acids lower the risk of premature birth as these are necessary to healthy brain development.
- Calcium and vitamin c. Source of calcium include skim milk, low-fat yogurt. It helps in bone building. Vitamin c is found in citrus fruits and these help in absorption of iron.
- It decreases the risk of having gestational diabetes.
- It also helps in prevention of preeclampsia.
Check your medication:
Pregnant woman with depression has maximum chances of having a preterm birth and anti-depression medicines if not taken properly can cause a higher risk of preterm birth.
So, you should consult your doctor, he/she may suggest you the proper medicine.