What is IUI?
IUI stands for Intrauterine Insemination, a kind of assisted conception treatment which involves the administration of injection of prepared sperm into the womb at the time of ovulation. The fertility drugs are given to stimulate egg production and ovulation, and to prepare the uterus to receive embryos.
The sperm used can be from your partner or a donor. The use of donor sperm is indicated in the following cases:
- When there is a deficiency of sperm in the partner.
- In the treatment of single women or lesbian couples.
- When there’s some hereditary disease in the male partner.
Typically four to six cycles of IUI are recommended – after this stage, alternative treatments are considered more appropriate.
Why is IUI treatment used?
IUI method is recommended in the following cases:
- The couples that have unexplained infertility or very mild factors preventing natural pregnancy.
- Mild endometriosis.
- Single women Female same gender couples/lesbians.
- When there is low sperm count.
- When sperm mobility is poor.
- The presence of cervical scar tissues from previous procedures.
- When there’s ejaculation dysfunction and a hostile cervical condition.
What is the necessary treatment procedure?
IUI process involves the following steps:
- A blood test and ultrasounds are done at the beginning of the menstrual cycle.
- A prescription of fertility enhancing drugs is given to stimulate the ovaries.
- To assess the readiness of follicles, additional scans are done.
- Roughly 40 hours before insemination HCG injection is administered.
- Semen is collected, which is then prepared in the laboratory and placed inside the uterus using a fine catheter.
How much does the IUI Procedure Cost?
Cost of IUI is very minimal as compared to IVF. Varies between 8000 – 12000 INR.